Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 23, 2002

Places I'd like to visit...if I ever have a reliable car...



I'm a sucker for strange old houses...

Hammond Castle, Gloucester, Massachusetts
The Coral Castle, Homestead, Florida
Winchester Mystery House, San Jose, California
The Biltmore Estate

And I'm not too far from these:

Great Serpent Mound, Locust Hill, Ohio
Cahokia Mounds, Collinsville, Illinois
Mammoth Cave National Park, Mammoth Cave, Kentucky (Yes, I've been, but there's always more to see)
Newport Aquarium, Newport, Kentucky
Red River Gorge (oddly enough, I've been to Natural Bridge, but I'm just about the only person I know here who hasn't gone hiking/camping in the Gorge!)

Anyway, I guess I'd just like to poke around some of the historical/natural places in the area, then expand outwards. I've never been to Florida, which is the only Southern state left on my list of states to visit. I'd like to go up to New England. I've heard great things about the Salem area. It's the setting for a lot of our Call of Cthulhu adventures (and no, there is no such place as Arkham, Massachusetts, except in the imagination of H.P. Lovecraft and his followers), but also I've learned that I'm descended Edouard Bompasse, a man of French descent from Britain who came to America on the ship that came after the Mayflower--the Fortune. So, I'd like to see what the area's like. That's the first ancestor for which I can find an entry point into America (my family's been in Kentucky for nine generations--since right after the Revolution--so I'm lucky to find what other states they came from, nevermind countries). There are a couple that came over in the 1800s, but I haven't found their record of entry yet. Doing genealogy is like working a big jigsaw puzzle, and it's addictive!

Random link of the day:
Check out the Ghost Weather Station

No comments: