Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 10, 2002

The Friday Five site is still down, but I'll take a stab at it anyway...



I'll just make up this week's questions.

1. Why did you become a librarian?

Well, it seemed a great idea at the time. I'd just gone through a divorce, had some classes for a mediaeval history master's under my belt, but no real direction. I thought I could make a living at it. (Hah! It took me four years just to find a rather nice but underpaid job!)

2. What is your favourite song? Does it have any special meaning for you?

Ooh..tough one. Probably Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair/Canticle"--not only is it the epitome of the anti-war songs I grew up on, you have to listen very carefully to catch the words to "Canticle". "Scarborough Fair" is also about trying to bring a true love back from the dead, and I have to admit, it appeals to the romantic in me. The two songs I most identified with as a child were the one right after that on the album, "Patterns", and Neil Diamond's "Shilo" (okay, maybe I had that tendency towards depression even then).

3. How many schools have you attended?

Eleven. Two kindergartens, two elementary schools, three junior highs, two high schools, one college. You gotta love the Air Force!

4. Which space mission do you remember first watching on TV?

The Apollo-Soyuz (1975)--It was a Cold War joint mission between NASA and the Soviet space agency, with the two ships docking. I was enthralled by two enemies cooperating. (Did I mention I was a second-generation flower child?)

5. If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Pay off my student loans. Pay off other debts. Get a working car. Pay off my mom's house. Get a house of my own (nothing fancy, but with room to garden.) Fill it with real wood furniture (no more dorm decorations). Found a Pagan university. Endow a few scholarships. Travel the world. Sail on the H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth II. Go to school for the rest of my life. (Of course, I don't really play the lottery, so that really is a pipe dream.)

No comments: