Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 24, 2002

I'm a sentimental idiot...


I think I've cried for about the last hour as the Olympic festivities have come to a close. I guess I'm just one of those people who refuses to doubt that peace will win over war, brotherhood will triumph over division, and that we, as humans, have greater depths of resilience inside us than we realise.

In the months since September 11th, we Americans have felt, I think, more fragile than faithful. The Olympics help remind us that peace is possible. Stripped down, it's just another sporting event. Invested with its tradition and the hope of the future, it is an inspiration. I just wish it could go on and on, and that even, for a little time, not even for the 17 days of the Olympics, but maybe just one day, the world could go through one day where one man did not kill another, one woman was not beaten, one child did not starve, one mine did not explode, and one heart turned from hate to love.

Sentimental, hmmm?...but maybe...one day.

No comments: