Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 07, 2002

And the saga continues...



Okay, it's during office hours, but I just have to take a moment to rant. I went back to our loading dock to see if the much-awaited package had arrived. You guessed it. It had not.

So, I call UPS. They look it up, and I'm informed that, contrary to my instructions to hold the package, and contrary to the supposed rescheduling it to my work address, that as of 11am yesterday (before I even went to pick up the package) it was on its way back to the shipper due to some error at the system. She apologises, tells me that there's no way they can stop the package, but offers to leave a message for the local office to call me (they can't just give me a phone number, apparently) so that they can grovel and apologise further. [Nice, but it doesn't help me get my package]. Of course, she asked me for my home phone number, which I gave, adding that I was at work. She was about to hang up the line when I asked if she wanted to work phone so they could reach me.

Sigh.

So, I call my phone company to tell them of the problem, and see if they can reship it straight to my workplace to avoid further confusion. They check from their end, and they're told that the package is set to redeliver to my apartment again tomorrow, which, of course, being a workday, I won't be there. So they can't do anything for now. One bright note--my DSL circuit is active. They had called me to let me know that it might be as late as the 11th. Turns out that they didn't push the date back because of problems with the circuit; they just wanted to give me time to get the package. Maybe they were being precognitive.

So, I'm waiting for my phone call. I'm beginning to think they should just point me to the feeding range for DSL modems, give me a network connector cord, and let go lasso one myself.

I just need to remind myself that it should all be worth it. It should all be worth it. It should all be worth it. The thing is, I don't really want an apology. I know mistakes happen. I just want my DSL. Now. This is somehow an exercise in patience/delayed gratification, right?

Until next time...

No comments: