Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 20, 2002

Flushed with success!


I finished my first professional web design today. I've totally redesigned our hospital website, which incidentally, I coded using good, old faithful, Microsoft Notebook. (We are not what you would call technologically advanced in terms of design tools.) Dreamweaver, we don't need no stinkin' Dreamweaver!--Although seriously, I downloaded an evaluation of Dreamweaver [for home use] and I must say it's my favourite of the WYSIWYG web design programs. Very easy.

Assuming the redesign passes muster and our corporate headquarters puts it up, I'll add a link on my blog page.

One fun thing (and please, don't laugh, I'm a computer geek but I'm fairly new to some of the techniques out there) that I learned today was how to use mouseover HTML code to hide addresses from mine programs that want to get them for spam. If you want to know how, to, check the source code for my e-mail link at left. Thanks to Mark at work! Now if I could just find something to put those stupid closed quotation marks that I forget on my filenames!

Meanwhile, I set my computer to the women's figure skating short programme results at MSNBC.com so that I could play and keep track, too. I'd unfortunately just missed Michelle Kwan and most of the frontrunners right before I got home. So, I just kept track of their scores. Figure skating and English Premier League Soccer are about the only sports I keep up with. The DSL makes it ever so much easier to keep up with such things.

I did some playing around with graphics and mapped out the bare bones of a website (see link at left). Now that I have a reliable connexion to the web I hope to add things quickly. (My first website, which I started in 1996, hasn't been updated in quite some time, good intentions notwithstanding, and I lost a lot of my work on genocide studies with the last computer.) Feel free to visit, or even better, wait a few weeks and then visit. :)

Well, I need to feed the animals and read a few chapters of The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog. The new Amelia Peabody book comes out on my birthday, and I want to re-read the series before then...not that I'm hinting, but it happens to be on my wish list.

No comments: