Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 11, 2002

Letter sent to UPS customer service via feedback form this afternoon:



I have never had as much trouble concerning a package as I have in the last week, and I want you to be aware of the problem.

I ordered DSL through Verizon and they shipped my equipment via UPS. Obviously, I cannot use my service until I receive the equipment.

I received a notice on Feb 5th that an attempt was made to deliver the package. Since any future attempts would be during work hours, I contacted UPS and requested that the package be held at the local service counter. They told me that I could pick it up on the 6th.

I went there about 12:30 on the afternoon of the 6th and was told that the package was not there and must still be out on the truck. I then asked if I could reschedule the delivery for my workplace (which is on the same route), for the next day, instead. They said they would do this, and put me on a list.

Unknown to me at that time, the package had actually been sent back to the shipper within the hour before I arrived at the hub. Note that this means the package was only available for 2 hrs before being whisked away. I was told this on the 7th when the package failed to arrive at my workplace. The customer service rep I spoke with said that they would try to intercept the package before it made it back to the shipper, and that the earliest I could expect it would be Monday. When I talked to Verizon, they were being told that the package was showing as scheduled for a second attempt the day after, so they apparently were accessing incorrect information. Here is the tracking info I pulled off your site:

Status: Delivered
Delivered on: Feb 8, 2002 10:39 A.M.
Signed by: WING
Location: RECEIVER
Delivered to: WEST CHESTER, PA, US
Shipped or Billed on: Jan 31, 2002

Tracking Number: 1Z 254 600 03 3349 919 5
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 4.20 Lbs




PACKAGE PROGRESS
Date Time Location Activity
Feb 8, 2002 10:39 A.M. WEST CHESTER-COATESV, PA, US DELIVERY
7:08 A.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
4:50 A.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
3:53 A.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:03 A.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US LOCATION SCAN
Feb 7, 2002 11:48 P.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US UNLOAD SCAN
10:16 P.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
5:22 P.M. NEW STANTON, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:48 P.M. NEW STANTON, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:18 A.M. LEXINGTON, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Feb 6, 2002 8:15 P.M. LEXINGTON, KY, US LOCATION SCAN
11:07 A.M. LEXINGTON-SOUTH, KY, US RECEIVER REQUEST PACKAGE HELD FOR PICKUP;RETURNED TO SENDER, NOT PICKED UP
9:17 A.M. LEXINGTON-SOUTH, KY, US RECEIVER REQUEST PACKAGE HELD FOR PICKUP;RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT UPS
Feb 5, 2002 4:47 P.M. LEXINGTON-SOUTH, KY, US DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST TO BE PROCESSED;RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT UPS
12:23 P.M. LEXINGTON-SOUTH, KY, US RECEIVER NOT IN ON 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT
Feb 4, 2002 6:53 P.M. LEXINGTON, KY, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
5:00 P.M. LEXINGTON, KY, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:49 A.M. NEW STANTON, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Feb 2, 2002 7:58 A.M. NEW STANTON, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:37 A.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:37 A.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US LOCATION SCAN
Feb 1, 2002 9:18 P.M. WILLOW GROVE, PA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:22 P.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
7:37 P.M. WEST CHESTER, PA, US ORIGIN SCAN
Jan 31, 2002 1:09 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED


Tracking results provided by UPS: Feb 11, 2002 12:50 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)

When I called today, a woman I spoke to said that the package had been returned because I had never come to pick it up. When I pointed out that this there had been an error and that I had been keeping in touch with UPS and Verizon on a daily basis through the reschedule attempts, she said that I could not have rescheduled more than once, contrary to what I had been told by the rep and counter clerk, who rescheduled the package each time, although to no avail. At this point, I am sorry to say, I used some choice language, and I should not have taken my frustration out on her. She apologised, but there was nothing to do at that point but call Verizon and make arrangements to have this shipped again. I have indeed done so. They are sending it via FEDERAL EXPRESS.

I realise that with the millions of packages you ship that some will fall between the tracks. However, there was some conflicting information, not only in information given to Verizon and myself, the customers, but apparently between UPS departments as well. Hopefully this case presents an example of a need for performance improvement. Thank you.

No comments: