Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Best laid plans

So YKWIA really wanted me to come over and fix some food for him, because he's still feeling puny and didn't feel up to cooking. Guilt was applied gently. I can't help it, I fall for that, even though I know there's no reason I should. But I knew he wasn't feeling well and didn't want him to not do well just because I wanted some 'me' time. So I went over about 8 pm and helped out, but didn't stay for dinner because I'd already eaten and it was about 11 pm by then. I came in, hooked up the DVR/VCR (after rooting around in my closet for some RCA cables to hook it up through the cable box and RF modulator), tested it with a DVD (The Princess Bride and a VHS tape (Chicken Run), and generally determined I had it hooked up right and it would play both ways. I'll work on figuring out the recording aspect later. It goes from the cable box to the DVR/VCR, to the RF modulator and then the TV. I still have to change the cables at the RF modulator if I want to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime videos on the TV.

Right after I got that hooked up, I thought I'd blog and YKWIA called to tell me he really appreciated me coming over. I did enjoy doing the cooking, and I'm learning a lot, but it makes me very tired, because it involves a lot of standing, even though I can chop sitting down, etc. I really need to take my kitchen mat with me next time, although his dog may well try to eat it with me standing on it.

So tomorrow I'll have to work on the house. The bedroom is now a mess because I had to move things to get to the cables in the closet. Sigh. If I can just put some music on tomorrow and work for maybe three or so hours, I think I could get the dishes done, get the recylables out, put things away, and maybe vacuum. We'll see. For now, it's after midnight and I think it would be good to go ahead and head on to bed. If you're in the area, be careful in tomorrow's morning commute. It's supposed to be a lot of straight-line wind and heavy rain. Good night.

No comments: