Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 02, 2012

Now that I've read it...

I'm so psyched for seeing how the movie will interpret it...and it's coming out right before my birthday.



I already see a few differences, but overall, it has the right look, and they seem to be holding pretty close to the book. And the four notes of music at the end brought tears to my eyes, and you'd have to read (or watch in March) to understand.

By the way, Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Katniss, is naturally blonde and was in X-Men: First Class as Raven (Mystique). Not to sound like a friend, but she looks totally different as Katniss, but I think she looks like the Katniss I envisioned (although I did see Haymitch very differently, and not as Woody Harrelson at all).

If you haven't read The Hunger Games, I really recommend it. It blends edge-of-chair action with the interactions that shape us, and most of all, a good story. Winning isn't just about being the strongest--it's about being smart and enduring, and the luck of the moment, and there's a lot of subtlety and depth in the story. I had read the premiss and wasn't sure about the idea of a book that's all about 24 kids having to cut each other down in the ultimate reality show, but it really is far more than that.

I went ahead and downloaded Catching Fire, and I plan to start that tomorrow. So, Hunger Games was my first book finished in the New Year. What's yours?

No comments: