Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 07, 2010

Listening to:

'St Louis Blues' by Billie Holiday

Along with the singing goat (which was a smashing success--my friend was thrilled with the gift), I got The Blues Collection, a 6 CD set from Musicbank (it was only $16, so I thought that was a pretty good deal). It features Muddy Waters, Dinah Washington, BB King, Mississippi John Hurt, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Big Joe Williams, T-Bone Walker, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Kimmy Reed, Memphis Slim, Robert Johnson, Big Joe Turner, Lightning Hopkins, Jimmy Witherspoon, Lonnie Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, and Sonny Terry. Each CD has 20 songs on it.

One reason I'm listening to it is that I'm cleaning house and wanted something to keep me working. I just spent an hour picking up stuff in the living room and kitchen. Next I'm going to start a load of dishes. Laundry is also on the agenda. This is the first night I've had to do this sort of stuff in awhile, which is why the house is a wreck (I am obviously not a neat person). Normally I'd go over to a friend's house, but I haven't had an extra day off in weeks and so I just had to stay home. It's amazing how much paper accumulates in my house. I feel like I'm excavating. The couch is particularly bad, as I tend to use it as a landing point for mail, etc.--and I get a lot of coupons and other kinds of junk mail that I just haven't had time to go through. I'm basically home for about an hour and half each night except for when I'm sleeping, and I'm usually on the computer then. I live by myself (and so can only blame myself), so I tend to not things back where I got them immediately. Funny how I can organise other people's stuff very well, but I have trouble with my own. I wonder if other librarians have that problem, or if I'm an exception.

Anyway, I opened the windows (it's in the 70s), put on the music, and I've gotten quite a bit picked up. Now to continue.

No comments: