Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

An unlikely return of a sentimental artefact

66 years later, missing WWII vet's dogtag returned to son
A merchant marine whose hobby is researching World War II sites spots a necklace of dogtags on a resident of one of the Solomon Islands and tracks down the family of the fallen pilot to which it belonged.

In my jewelry box, I have a cousin's dogtag from World War I. His name was Cantrell Duncan. My grandmother had cared for him when he was older and I guess he didn't have children to leave it to. I knew him, but certainly not as closely as the rest of the family. Perhaps I should try to find someone to whom it would have greater meaning. Of course, he was a veteran from the first World War, and that tag has been in my possession since 1993. It might be a little difficult to find someone. But you never know, it might be worth it.

PS Cantrell must have been a veteran of WWII. I found his name in the social security death index and his birthday was 7/20/1914. He died in April 1983, aged 69. (I was just turned sixteen.) In the original post I listed Cantrell's name as 'Catlett', which was wrong. Catlett Duncan was my great-grandfather's brother. Cantrell was a cousin in some way.

No comments: