Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A lovely night off

Because Brandon worked for me:
  1. I was able to come home and take a two-hour nap on a nice sunny afternoon.
  2. I talked at length with a friend.
  3. I connected with a high school friend on Facebook and exchanged phone numbers.
  4. I went to the library, returned some books, and got a couple, including the one on Dewey the Library Cat and a mystery called Sherlock in Love.
  5. Went to Animal House, the pet store, and got some dechlorinator solution and the anti-ammonia chips that go in the filter.
  6. Went to Kroger, granny cart in hand, and got some food for the house, much of it fruit, juice, organic and other types of dairy, free-range brown eggs, meatless entrees from Morningstar Farms, vegetarian beans in sauce, canned veggies, hummus, Indian entrees, and vegetarian chili. The only non-'healthy' food were a couple of packages of soft pretzels (hey, everyone has a weakness) and some Miracle Whip. I didn't even get ice cream. Oh, and I found some rosemary/mint bodywash (my shampoo is the same scent). I also splurged for the upcoming holiday and got a package of sparklers. :) Let me tell you, I cannot sing the virtues of a granny cart any higher--it's so much easier to lug home four canvas grocery bags of food in a cart than that one time I did so by hand. Oh, and I found a product, a Greek-style honey-flavoured yoghurt that looked intriguing, made by a company called 'The Greek Gods'. The honey one is called Hermes. :)
Can you tell I'm trying to eat healthier? Not to mention, have food in the house so I don't bring home lots of snacks from the store I work at. Mind you, not a lot of it is portable--I need to start bringing my lunch; the cafeteria is so expensive, although today I had my pick of anything on the hot bar to eat--we had tortilla-encrusted tilapia (excellent), teriyaki salmon, baked potato, squash--even the soup was broccoli cheddar. I don't think that's ever happened before. There were hot dogs on the roller grill for those who really wanted lots of meat. I passed on the soup and salmon this time, but I was sorely tempted by both. But as a result I had a large lunch, so since I've been home I've had just a little package of salmon earlier and now a little spinach-artichoke hummus on whole wheat pita, and I'm satisfied. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WORKING FOR ME, BRANDON!!! I really needed a little 'me' time. :)

Now I'm home, everything's put away, and I'm considering doing some notes. And I have to clean out the fish tank and add some more water. I may concentrate on getting the notes started tonight and deal with anything else later...I did add some fresh water to the tank, it just needs a good vacuuming and then topping it off, and the ammonia chips changed.

No comments: