Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm more than a little concerned

High Court Upholds Curb on Abortion

Roberts Court Moves Right, But With a Measured Step

I don't favour abortion as a means of birth control (I think birth control is a good candidate for that, and I find it interesting that many who are against the former are also against the latter). I would not normally have one myself except in the case of severe birth defects, or if my life were in danger, or perhaps rape, but I do believe there are times and places for abortion, and most of all, I believe in a woman's right to choose what happens to her body. I don't believe the so-called 'partial birth' procedure is something that is undertaken lightly...from my understanding it is usually a last-ditch effort done to protect the woman's health. And I find it more than a little scary that the law banning that procedure has been upheld by the Supreme Court in a step towards the right, a step that may be the harbinger of other victories for abortion foes, even to the point of reversing Roe vs. Wade. That scares me. I don't want my country to be a place where women in desperation undergo back alley abortions that threaten their fertility and their lives, or where children are born unwanted. I think we all should be paying attention, because this decision is a wake-up call, and there's no telling how wide an area of effect the changes in the court will eventually involve.

No comments: