Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I did a little surfing on YouTube

and discovered, much to my dismay, that the lead singer of one of my favourite bands when I was young died in 2001 from hanging himself. He apparently had a problem with alcohol and depression.

There are several tributes to Stuart Adamson of Big Country on YouTube. They don't have a video for 'The Seer', my favourite ballad of theirs. I always loved the guitar work that sounded so much like the bagpipe, the uniquely Scottish sound to the band (although none of the members were born in Scotland; Stuart Adamson's parents were Scottish and he was raised there, but born in Manchester, England. His Scottish accent was genuine, though.) I hate the fact that when people play them on the radio, they just play 'In a Big Country' when there were so many other songs that were better. I really love the ballads, especially the ones with historical themes.

Here's Big Country's 'Ships':

No comments: