Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I think that I'm going to have to make an investment

in real shoes. See, I've never spent more than about $25 on a pair of shoes, and the current ones I wear were about $8-12. I wear my boots whilst at the gas station because it gives a little better support. The upshot is none of my shoes are working well, and my right foot especially is moving around in the shoes, causing pain in my arch when I'm basically walking on the outside of my foot, plus my arch which is generally pretty high, is falling when I step due to my (massive) weight. The pain is going up through the ankle to my knees as well; it's worse on the right, but both sides are having pain, and that, along with a tendency for plantar fasciitis, means new shoes.

So, what's the resolution? Next week I get paid my non-rent-needed cheque, and I'm heading to New Balance and paying an exhorbitant amount for decent shoes that fit my wide, short feet. I need something that truly supports my feet and my tendency to pronate. I have some orthotics that help but my shoes are usually not wide enough for them...but New Balance has my size (I think I'm a 6 1/2 EE), so that should work.

Boy, though, I'm going to have sticker shock. But I talked to a coworker and his weren't that bad, maybe $90, and I was thinking more like $150. But if it helps, so be it. I'm hobbling around like an old woman, and I'd like to be able to do some walking for exercise without too much pain.

No comments: