Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 17, 2006

I overslept this morning

which isn't good, of course, as I was late to work. The good thing is I have my desk cleared and everything I needed done, taken care of. But I'm not taking a lunch, just my normal 15-minute break, eating at my desk.

Yesterday I had an interesting experience. In all my years of being involved with gay men (both married and as friends), I've encountered homophobia, but sort of as a secondary feature. Yesterday I asked someone for help and kind of got blown off, and was sort of clueless as to why, until a gay friend pointed out to me that 1) the person knows I have a lot of gay friends and 2) may very well know that I'm bisexual, since I have mentioned it once or twice in an environment where he could have heard through the grapevine. It isn't someone I know well, so I was surprised he instantly recognised me when I phoned. Anyway, I supposed he could have been distracted or there's some other legitimate reason, but it very well could be at least subconsciously homophobia, and if so, it's the first time I've really experienced it first hand. Since I'm not dating women (or anyone else for that matter) it really doesn't come up. But as my friend put it, bisexual is not straight and most men, hearing the word bisexual, equate it to the woman being 'a big lezzie'. Sigh. For that matter, most gays just think bisexuals are confused, so you really just can't win in the straight or gay world.

Okay, break time is over; just wanted to comment on that. And for those of you who didn't know already, I guess you do now. :) The funny thing is I accept it, but I don't really think about it too much or identify myself by the label, simply because it's just one aspect of me, and one that doesn't come up too often. I identify much more closely with being a woman, a librarian, a pagan, even a gamer. Oh, well.

No comments: