Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much from my personal life

I've just been so busy, pretty much I get up early, get out the door, work, and come home pretty late. I haven't had an evening off in awhile. With three jobs, it keeps you busy. I kind of have a fourth job, although it's unpaid. See, last year I got in an argument where the logical conclusion of my position was that my characters in the game would pop like soap bubbles (and pretty much the game itself would end). After playing the same campaign for fifteen years, I really don't want that to happen. So, in the end I won the argument but lost a bet, so to speak, with the consequences being a form of indentured servitude until a move was completed (packing, moving, unpacking, waiting on hand and foot, washing dishes, pretty much anything I was asked to do). Yes, I know, this was really stupid, but I thought it would be for a short time. Thing is, until some shelves are built, the books can't be unpacked. My stepfather is building the shelves, and although he's a great guy, he's kind of slow at projects, plus he works a lot of overtime. So the servitude began in April, the move was in May, and the shelves were supposed to be built by August, but are still in process. Plus later negotiation was done so that I gained certain priveleges in return for six more months of service once the shelves are built and everything is in place. Sigh. This is what I get for pushing an untenable position in an argument. I had every chance to back out, but like a bet, I kept insisting I was right when in fact I was not. What have I learnt? Not to have discussions on the nature of reality with someone well versed in philosophy and logic enough to teach it. I was arguing from an emotional standpoint, which doesn't wash in logical debate. Anyway, when I'm not blogging here or working the jobs, I'm doing stuff like basic home repairs, looking up things online, housework, etc., etc. and occasionally having small breakdowns as a result. :) But hey, you pay for stupidity, right? And at least it will eventually end and isn't on the scale of stupidity as, say, marrying a gay man and taking his lover as your bosom companion, whilst wearing foilage on your head that makes you look really silly. Yes. I did that, when I was younger and more likely to do stupid things.

So, at the moment it sort of sucks to be me, but overall I feel more productive. I just wish I had a little more time to myself to take care of my chores at home. At least I'm taking my dog with me more often so I actually see her during the day.

Some thoughts I've meant to blog on, but didn't have the time (I'm taking a lunch doing it now):

  1. Yesterday, Valentine's Day, was the 20th anniversary of my losing my virginity and a resulting pregnancy scare. What I find really frightening is that I could have a 19-year-old now. It was also the 19th anniversary of my engagement. Yes, romantically, on Valentine's Day. It doesn't guarantee happiness, though, you know?
  2. Things I've learnt about plumbing is the past few days:
    • Traps under sinks are there to protect the home from deadly/explosive sewer gases. The water in the trap acts as a barrier.
    • Plumber's wrenches are really, really heavy. I feel like I've been lifting weights. Plumbers must have great biceps.
    • Do It Best Hardware employees are really helpful.
    • Snakes are easy to use.
    • It's a lot harder to get everything back together and sealed properly than you'd think.
    • To protect plastic pipe fittings, wrap your wrench head with electrical tape.
    • There's a lot out there on the Internet for do-it-yourselfers.
    • I really appreciate having my apartment maintenance to do this stuff. The benefits of home ownership are great, but there are some down sides.

  3. If you're cable Internet connexion is on the blink, the a simple fix is make sure the button on the cable modem is pressed. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working, when I'm current on my bill and apparently they checked and all was fine on their end. That button must have been shut off accidentally by my backing into it (my cable modem is on the floor) or my dog stepping on it.
  4. My allergies are really hitting since it's been so nice weather-wise and the trees are blooming early. D got hers tested and found out she's allergic to horses, too. Of course, we live in central Kentucky, the thoroughbred capital. :)

No comments: