Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 01, 2004

This pretty much sums up my take on the debate

Daily Kos :: Political Analysis and other daily rants on the state of the nation.

I think Kerry came off as intelligent, dealing with issues, and thinking about strategies. Bush came off as a rather over-ripe squashed tomato who whined and avoided giving real answers to questions. Even at the most basic--their stances and appearance--Kerry looked confident, Bush hunched and constipated. One friend and I decided that the makeup artists--each candidate had his own, as per their negotiation--did a much better job with Kerry. We decided Kerry probably had the gay makeup artist and Bush had a woman named Nadine from a trailer park in Texas.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh. Still, that was the impression, and it didn't seem to improve as things came (or rather didn't at times) come from his mouth. I loved that he got Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein mixed up. Yep. Debates, like running the country, are hard for dear W.

The thing is, I think Bush will still win. I think that people will probably see what they want in the debates, or rather, ignore them and go with what they 'feel' makes a better candidate, than truth or rationality. I know I was already biased against Bush. I'm sure those biased against Kerry were probably not ready to go vote for him. But maybe for some undecideds, the debate helped clear up some things.

My favourite aspect about the debate was that a lot of the criticisms that I have against our president were voiced there up on stage for all the world to hear, and he had to stand by and take it, and have his chance to respond. And what did he do? He squirmed. I think that says a lot about our leader right there. For whatever the outcome, at least we have that.

No comments: