Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

No, I didn't fall off the planet

But I haven't been around an Internet connexion in four days. I took off a couple of days from work to help a friend and it's been a busy and weird long weekend. I'd hoped to take a bit of a breather on the side, but no dice. This morning I overslept, realised I'd forgotten to drop off my rent payment, and then my car wouldn't start (I suspect I'm out of gas again, which is annoying, because I thought I'd be okay until tonight, and a friend offered to put a couple of dollars in last night. I should have let him.) I also forgot to bring my lunch. So, I am a class-A ditz today. But, a neighbour helped me push the car back into place and gave me a ride and overall I'm feeling pretty good today, so it just seems like a Monday, and so I didn't get upset and decided to just plough forward and do what I can to make the day work.

News from the front while I was out:

I went with a friend to the Democratic Party headquarters to pick up a yard sign for him for Dr Dan Mongiardo, who's running for Senate and a Kerry-Edwards bumpersticker for me. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I suppose, since that means 38,000 people have gotten them already), they were out of the bumper stickers, but I did get a smaller sticker to put on my car. My friend is taking off some time around the election and doing walking and phone campaigning.

I didn't get any of the part-time jobs at the public library, but I am in the application pool for a full-time one which would be right in my neighbourhood. There's also a hospital library position I've applied to, but it's only an assistant librarian and actually pays a little less, so it would be a step down career-wise, but at least it's full time. Meanwhile I may see about doing some fundraising work for the public television station I work at. One of my coworkers did that last year and since you make a commission, it averages out to be a pretty decent hourly rate. I so just need something to bring some money into the equation.

Fortunately when I get paid next week I should be able to take care of some of the things I haven't been able to, like the fleas (now in Aegyptian-plague proportions), groceries, cat litter, that kind of thing. But right now it sort of sucks to be making just enough that you're not eligible for assistance but not enough to keep basic necessities like food, medicine, and electricity going. Still, it could be much worse. I have no doubt that things will improve, and really time passes pretty quickly. I'm at least to the point of not going 'oh, it's a whole week until I can get groceries' but rather, 'well, a week will go by quickly'.

One good thing about this...I've lost about 28 lbs since July, so I feel better in terms of not carrying around so much. I think my weight does impact the whole job search thing, for one, although I think the main trouble is too many librarians around our library school and too few jobs for someone who wants to stay in this area. I could leave, but I'd have to leave very good friendships and really, that's something no amount of money can buy, right? I'm much richer in some ways by sticking around. This has really become home, and for someone who grew up moving every few months, that's special. I'd still like to travel--but with a home base. I just have to keep hope that I can make it here somehow, and explore all the various opportunities that come along.

No comments: