Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Well, they tried to kill Dwana today at work...

listening to: 'Mrs Robinson' by Simon and Garfunkel
feeling: Sore

...apparently someone had the bright idea to put shrimp in the chicken gumbo (which is a little understandable, given that it's gumbo) without telling anybody (which was probably not so understandable). So, Dwana, who was having a rough day anyway, got to enjoy the fun of throwing up and breaking out in hives--and that was just eating a little of the broth; she managed to spot the actual shrimp before eating any. Note to self: Do not serve Dwana shrimp. I guess that's why her husband usually eats shrimp but she doesn't. Upside: the kitchen staff are now very, very guilty and I think they'll be particularly nice to her for awhile. Fortunately, no trip to the emergency room was necessary, and it sounds like she's doing better. However, I'm sure that did not help her day. Here's to sending her hugs and chocolate, the cure for all ills (thankfully neither of us have allergies to that).

I went over the gym after work and decided to do a more serious workout now that I've been doing pretty well. When I worked out on Monday, even with some new weight exercises, I was not sore at all, which I guess is good, but I also started out very small. Today I stayed small, but increased the range of exercises I did. First I did a fit test on the treadmill (below average, dang it), then did the random setting so it'd be more like real ground. Then I did weights, including legs, arms, thighs! (both squeezing in and out, which is where I'm a bit sore), and abdominals. I carry a lot of my weight in my belly (thanks to the diabetes), and that's an area that I need to work on. Believe it or not, even though I've always been, well, at least chunky, I used to have a perfect hourglass figure. I know I'll never be tiny. I saw a woman walking the other day who probably has the same body type that I do, only smaller--it's curvy without being fat. Although I've only lost a few pounds, I think I have lost inches. I certainly feel healthier and toned. I finished up with a cardio workout on the bike that I thought was going to do me in and then some stretching. So I may have overdone things a little, but I don't think I did too badly. I was very careful to do each exercise in proper form, for one. Then I went to Captain D's and caught the bus back. I got home around 5pm, so I was at the gym awhile. Although I'm usually pumped up after exercise, I was a little wiped out this time, so I took a nap. But I feel pretty well. I think I'll probably have to take a warm bath tomorrow and do a little yoga.

I got my official unemployment notifications today. I love how they word things:

This is to notify you that you have sufficient base period wages to establish a claim for unemployment insurance benefits. If you meet all the qualifications, you will be eligible for $xxx.xx per week with total benefits of $xxxx.xx.

That's a fancy way to say, yes, you are eligible and as long as you continue to meet the qualifications, we'll pay this much. It took me a moment to distill that from the bureaucratic-speak. I hope this will help me when I let my student loan folks know of my change in status. Of course, in my situation, it's a little different, since I subtract 80% of what I make per week from that benefit. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad I'll be getting them. As usual, I have an account that's been running on empty, and this will be my first slashed paycheque to try to pay bills with. Fortunately, my pay just went in, and it's actually sort of a 75% cheque, because the pay period had one full week and one with the new hours. So...I'm only down $150, with about $85 coming next week from unemployment. So I think I can pay my rent, at least. I'm not looking forward with dealing with the other bills. At least in October we have three paycheques at work and then there will be two unemployment cheques. If I was ever going to need the extra cheque, now would be the time.

Well, I'm trying to keep Spock off the keyboard (he has a gift for hitting some button that shuts the whole system down...grrr). I think he's trying to tell me it's time for food and bedtime. Earlier, when I took my nap, he made a lovely vibrating heating pad. Okay, a heating pad with claws, but still...it was nice. He was playing velcro kitty...must...sleep...on...top...of...mom. You gotta love them. :)

No comments: