Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 17, 2003

I am such an utter wuss...but that's okay. Baby steps. Baby steps...



I chickened out on going to the gym tonight for my orientation (fortunately there wasn't an appointment involved; they had told me I could just walk in). Those of you who know me well probably won't be surprised. But I'll get there. I decided that going on Saturday morning might not be quite so intimidating. That also gives me a couple of days to get a plan together in terms of what I want to work on.

So, instead I'm home and blogging. The local news reports that two of the horses I mentioned the other day who had been attacked with some sort of acid have had to be euthanised. One was a two-time winner of the Saddlebred Triple Crown. It's such a shame. I can't understand why anyone would do such a thing.

I also feel sorry for all concerned in the Santa Monica farmer's market crash--both the victims and driver. It's so hard to tell when it's time to stop driving, after all. It's easy in retrospect to say, oh, gee, he shouldn't have been behind the wheel. But what if it was you? Or your parent? I think all drivers should be evaluated periodically for their skills--not just based on age, which is discriminatory, but the rest of us, too. There are lots of people whose eyesight and reflexes change even in middle age. The last Newsweek had a 'My Turn' dealing with just this issue, from the point of view of a woman who had to decide to give up the independence of driving.

No comments: