Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 05, 2003

What a good Fourth it was...Happy Birthday, America



I walked downtown and watched the parade (a great contingent for Fairness, the ACLU, a group working for peace, various politicians, organisations, etc. Not too much crass advertising, thankfully, although it was a loooonnngg parade even so). I had lunch at Subway's, resisted the urge to get a funnel cake, then visited the booths. They were interesting although I didn't find anything I couldn't live without. I got hit on (I'd say having my ear kissed with tongue action counts) by a local artist I won't name but trust me if you're in Lexington and in anyway connected with the art community you'll know who I mean when I say he's a textile artist who in the space of three minutes hit on me and three men. I also got a look at some of the 'Dynamic Doors' that are installed as part of an exhibit. It's sort of a follow-up to the popular Horse Mania from a couple of years ago. (Nearby Bourbon County is doing a similar thing with bourbon barrels this year). I'm not as entranced with the doors as I was the horses, although some are quite beautiful, especially those that turned the doorways into sculpture or used stained glass. I was quite embarrassed that I look straight at one called 'Pillars' and didn't pick up the Cabalistic significance. I guess I just wasn't expecting it. I was a little disturbed by a military helicopter that flew around downtown for hours--I guess they were trying to be alert for any problems. But generally everything was great. A band on one of the floats passed out free CDs. There were gobs of kids everywhere and I just thought they were cute rather than annoying; maybe it was the Paxil, I don't know. After fun in the sun (with sunscreen and a hat of course--no sense looking like a lobster), I went indoors and collapsed for awhile and watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Then I walked back home (I live about a mile-and-a-half from downtown) in time to watch the fireworks in my neighbourhood. They were stupendous.

So now I've had a cool bath and I am very, very, very (yea, very) tired. I figure I probably walked about 5 miles today. But it wasn't too bad. Boy, though, when I take the bus tomorrow I am soooooo going to be more appreciative of LexTran (They were off for the holiday. I had to break the news to some guy waiting at a stop this morning).

Well, that's enough for now. I'm pooped. Between the festival and some stuff I'm doing for the game tomorrow and the game on Sunday, I have a full weekend--which is why I'm taking Monday off just for me. :)

No comments: