Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Yesterday I learned a new Latin word

Crustulum -- cookie or small cake/pastry,  as in 'Mater puellae crustulum dat.' :)  I never came across that in school,  and I had five semesters of Classical Latin and one of Mediaeval Latin.  But it was buried in an exercise in Wheelock's.  I learned Latin from five of the books in the Ecce Romani  series, which starts you out with simple readings of composed Latin and builds vocabulary before learning the nuances of grammar, much as we learn language as children. My friends learned from the Oxford Latin series,  which follows Horace as a boy,  and which had more genuine Latin writings.  Wheelock's Latin  is a more traditional method,  starting strongly with grammar and memorisation. But it is the classic method of learning the language,  and is very useful for my review. I have the sixth edition on my Kindle, and while where are a few errors in that format,  I know the language well enough that I recognise them.  I have an older edition in paperback,  too.  I thought I had the accompanying reader,  but apparently not.   Anyway,  I was happy to come across a new word.  I an such a language geek.

No comments: