Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

I happen to be one of those at-risk-for-complications people

in terms of the flu, given that I have both asthma and diabetes.  I haven't had my seasonal flu shot yet because of a delay where I normally get it.  I have to have proof  of the vaccine if I go to, say, my doctor's or a community vaccine programme because I work in a hospital.  I think I will go on Thursday, since I am at higher risk and would like to get immunised before the H1N1 vaccine shows up down at the health department.  For that, I'll have to go on the bus.  Between having underlying medical conditions and working in a children's hospital, I think it makes quite a lot of sense to get both vaccinations, although there is an unpublished study in Canada making the rounds that indicates getting the seasonal flu shot could make you more susceptible to swine flu, although it may be less severe.

1 comment:

constant gina said...

H1N1 is going to be the updated version of the common cold where there is no cure just major suppression through medicine.