Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 24, 2009

An interesting blog

I came across this in my reader today and have now subscribed to its feed. As a librarian with a history degree, I couldn't help but be interested in what he's writing about....check it out if you'd like to know more about the history of catalogue cards, machines of libraries past, or gems like the following poem by Norman D. Stevens from 1910:

A LIBRARIAN'S LIFE

A librarian's life is the life for me
For there's nothing at all to do, you see
But to sit at a desk and read new books
And admire yourself and think of your looks.
To questioning souls one can tartly say:
'I can't be bothered with
you today,
for I haven't finished this novel, see?'
A librarian's life is the life for me.


Gods, even back then the stereotype of a librarian just reading all day was in full force. I don't know how many times people have told me how wonderful it must be to be able to sit and read all day at work--something I do rarely in the course of my job, and then to review books or determine whether to buy them. :) Anyway, this is a kind of window on the history of libraries, and well worth a read.

Library History Buff Blog

Thanks to Librarian for alerting me to this site.

No comments: