Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, July 07, 2008

How was your weekend?

Mine was pretty decent, because I got a lot of rest.

On Friday I went down to the Fourth of July festival. I did indeed have a funnel cake (they, thankfully, haven't gone up over the year like everything else) and although I didn't find earrings, I found an ankh pendant to replace one that I'd lost. The nice thing about wearing an ankh is that it is a pagan symbol representing life that close-minded Christians do not immediately see as heathen in any way (I mean, it does look like a cross with a loop), whereas the ignorant often react to the pentagram negatively, not realising that it is not a Satanic symbol unless, like a cross, it is inverted. Since I work in a children's hospital and a gas station in which I encounter lots of people of different educational or religious stations, I prefer to wear my ankh. Granted, I have the right to wear the pentagram; but I like the ankh anyway, so I've chosen to wear it and save the pentagram for off-duty hours.

I did not get to see the parade because they reversed the route this year, which I didn't know. I went to Main Street to get a seat near what should have been the front since I had to go somewhere by 3 pm and the parade was supposed to start at 2 pm. By 2:30 nothing had come down the pipe so I started to leave and lo and behold, there it was off in the distance coming down the opposite of every other year I've been at the festival. I went ahead and left, having to cross the parade itself on vine (so it was indeed very long). I saw the people at Ramsey's giving out unhusked corn like it was candy, which was odd, and crossed behind a lounge's float. I don't think businesses should really be allowed to be in the parade; it just seems like one big advertisement. It should be community groups, bands, etc. Then I took a friend to the grocery and it poured when we came out. I got home, got out of my wet clothes, and decided to take a nap for an hour before deciding to go to the fireworks (depending on the rain). I didn't wake until about dark, then went back to sleep. I finally got up at 9 am, so I had fourteen hours of sleep.

Saturday I worked for eight hours. It was fairly uneventful. I had a good visit with a friend that night--we talked for hours, and I got to sample some really good cooking he'd done.

Sunday was the game. We played late, and I had to switch the battery in the middle of recording, so I hope I didn't miss anything (although of course I was also writing). The Antarctic bunch are getting closer to the the climax, and the tension is building.

Last night I got in about 10:30 and went straight to bed, then got up at 8:50 this morning, so I got quite a bit of rest again. I feel pretty good. Now I need to go to work, get something to eat, and start my day. I have an appointment with the podiatrist (following up on my broken foot from a few months ago) today and then I have some errands to do, but I'm not working at the store until Wednesday.

Have a good day; I hope you had a good weekend (and holiday if you're in the States).

No comments: