Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 18, 2008

A rare day off

Well, okay, I am going over to a friend's house later to help with the weekly cleaning normally done before the game, and then there's notes, but we're not playing and so I have a few hours to pick up my own place (my couch is buried under junk mail and books), maybe get a nap (I was up late last night), and do some computer stuff.

I went ahead and got some bread this morning to go with my peanut butter, which will hopefully hold out until Thursday. I have that and potatoes, although very little butter, so I may take those to work where I can get butter in the cafeteria.

I also checked on my prescription for glucose test strips and it's out of refills. I have all my other prescriptions that haven't been taken in from Dr Nesbitt and there isn't one for them, so I'll call Monday and see it they can call one in.

I was running some numbers last night for what would happen if I actually got a job like the one at Lexington Public Library that I applied to. I would wind up with about $700 a month (allowing for rent, gas, food, phone, electricity, Internet, and student loans) that wouldn't be committed, I think. Say I take out $100 for other stuff. That would leave $600. I could put half of that in savings and another half towards my debts. That would be $10,000 in savings over three years, which I consider healthy. (They recommend 6 months' worth of savings for expenses in case of job loss or other calamity. For me that would be about $7,000.) I could pay off my debts (except for the student loans, which may take my entire life!) in two years and hopefully rehabilitate my credit (I owe about $5000 in debt, which isn't bad really, considering what some people carry. But I haven't been able to pay it on my salary yet, although I have paid off a dental bill and am almost finished with an old phone debt.)

I hope I get this job. If I do, there's going to be one ecstatic post on this blog. Or, if not, I hope I can find a similar one.

I also checked into getting certification for working in public libraries. It would basically mean sending in a copy of my diploma (and probably the court order for my name change, since my diploma is unfortunately under my old name and one of those debts is to the school, so I can't get it changed until I pay it, I think. In any case I don't have the $50 to change both my BA and MSLS documents. The fee for the certification is only $5. It's required for all public librarians in Kentucky. It also means getting 100 contact hours of continuing education credit over five years. I think that's doable.

I also figured up my points to get my AHIP certification and I have enough plus extra, but it's $175 for five years, payable up front, so it may be awhile before I can do it. Also there's really no point if I move into the public library track. I wish they had a tier, much like the membership, for a reduced rate for those who make less than a certain amount a year (I think the MLA's cut off is $30,000, which I am well over.)

Also, one of my customers mentioned the economic stimulus rebate and I said I didn't think I'd get mine because I owed taxes and they'd apply it. He said his sister did, too, and she got hers. So I wonder if I will get one after all. That would be great. I'm not due to get mine until sometime in June (it's done by the last two digits of your social security number, and mine is pretty high). So I'm hopeful for that.

Well, I guess I should get off here. Thanks for reading. I know my life isn't very exciting. :)

No comments: