Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I wanted to take a moment before I go to work

to remember the victims of the Chinese earthquake (and I haven't forgotten the Burmese cyclone). It boggles my mind that so many lives can be lost in such a short time. In China the latest figures are 40,000 dead, many children in their schools. Even 200 rescuers travelling to help were killed in a landslide; it's dangerous work to save others, but people are still being pulled out alive. In Burma it may be 200,000, although with the government's hold on the country, it's hard to be sure. Nature can be a harsh mistress, although she provides so much else for us.

China comes to a standstill in silent tribute to earthquake victims

My mercy mission into the cyclone zone with the Burmese heroes who put junta to shame

No comments: