Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Cold. Wet. Falling. :(

The carpet is still drenched, although I'm lucky it didn't get to any of my books (there's only one stack on the floor, next to the door, but you never know. I seem to have an apartment suffering from major wicking action, as the floor in front of the water heater was totally dry, but the carpet is wet even at the entrance inside the bedroom).

I just took a cold shower because I'd rather have a couple of minutes' inconvenience rather than be overripe all day. But brrrr!

And at one point I slipped and nearly fell due to some water I'd tracked back into the kitchen.

And I had to temporarily turn the water back on to the toilet in order to go to the bathroom because the maintenance guy had turned it off last night because it wasn't filling up all the way and they're going to fix that too.

But...

the good news is they're going to bring big blowers in to help dry the carpet, and then later today a plumber will come and they'll change out one water heater for another. So any inconvenience won't last long. And at least I do have hot water normally. Some people don't have access to anything like that. Plus, none of my things were damaged, and the only thing in the apartment damaged was the carpet, which in all likelihood I'm going to replace at the end of my tenancy. The walls and other floors are fine.

That is the second mini-flood I've had since I've been here. A leaking air conditioner cascaded water into a walk-in closet where we'd originally considered putting books, but my stepfather had spotted evidence of early leaks so I'd just had clothes in it. That one did cause some problems with mould, which I think is finally under control.

Also, I was able to fix someone else's toilet yesterday (I am, for all my clumsiness, somewhat mechanically inclined, although my spatial relations suck). And that someone bought me ice cream (Hawaiian Sundae) for my efforts to fix a printer and all the other things I'd done that day. So, once the maintenance guy left, I dug into that for a bit and it helped make things better.

Oy, vey. I have a long day ahead of me. I just hope I come home to hot water.

No comments: