Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 06, 2005

A pretty good take on feedback

Four people and I filled out questionnaires from that book on social skills and ADHD that I've mentioned. I went through today and highlighted those answers where three of us agreed.

Traits I have: sincere, thoughtful, kind, humourous
Need to work on: considerate, warm, unselfish, dependable, truthful, responsible, cheerful, trustworthy, honest

Some others: introducing myself and others, most of the verbal communication skills, keeping an open posture and looking relaxed, minimising others' feelings, several of the organisational and impulse-related self-control skills, boundaries, understanding subtext and social exchange, flexibility, intimacy, self-esteem, and appearance. In other words, a lot...but also there were a lot that others saw as not a problem. I think I was harshest on myself of all of us, and there were few things that they saw in me that I didn't already think needed work (except I didn't particularly think I was kind. I mean to be...but they saw me as so).

Anyway, a big thank you to those who went out on a limb and gave me honest feedback. I really appreciate it, and don't worry, I still love you all. I'll try to put it to good use. Among other things, I think they help shed some light on what I'm doing to sabatage myself during interviews for jobs, especially in terms of appearance and nonverbal communication...I close off when I'm nervous, and it's hard not to appear to be. I need to work on being more together and appearing confident. After all, I look good on paper because I am good, I just need to be able to convey it in person, right?

Well, that's all for today. Hope you have a good Thursday. I'm going to go brave the traffic home.

PS Someone pointed out that I downplayed the appearance/hygiene section, which was tops from his point of view. I had gone through the sheets in order, and that was towards the end; I unconsciously may have given it short shrift. It's true everyone agreed that at times I need to work on my appearance, and yes, it may be affecting my interviews. I have a difficulty with the whole idea of 'making up'--I can do it, I just don't like to take the time to fix my hair and makeup. But I'm trying. Still, my hair seems to have a life of its own, and I think it looks perpetually uncombed no matter what I do with it. Maybe I'm not putting the right goop on it. Are there books on hair goop?

I think I've solved some of my basic issues in that area, though. Maybe I should do the questionnaire again in 6 months and see if there's improvement. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.

No comments: