Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, December 21, 2003

Whoa!

Just checked the last post, and Ernie aside, I thought they weren't planning to up the terror level this weekend with the latest rumblings. Must go and check the news more often on weekends. Apparently with the high holiday traffic and perhaps the capture of Saddam Hussein, there is more credible intelligence of possible attacks now than at any time since 9/11. Fortunately the news didn't break too long ago, so I didn't miss it, per se. Who said blogs can't be informative?

Check out the Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridgeway's statement.

And let me say that although I generally disagree with the Bush Administration on a whole slew of issues, I think that the Department of Homeland Security (itself, rather than some of the security measures enacted that may be too restrictive of basic rights) was a good idea, because obviously an agency should work with all the departments within the huge government system as a means to make for more efficient (and hopefully safer and secure) operation. And once they got over the initial panic-inducing statements regarding threat levels, the colour-coded system works pretty well. Yes, people should be prepared. No, we shouldn't panic, because that's like stampeding at a theatre fire and will do nothing to save lives. Just my 2 cents' worth.

For now, I'm off to retrieve my dog from a visit with the rest of the pack.

No comments: