Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

I guess it was a matter of time...

although it's a little creepy that it hit the news right after I made a post on mad cow disease and blood supply, don't you think? U.S. Battles Worldwide Fallout from Mad Cow Case. I have to admit that when I was reading the paper earlier, the thing that struck me was 1) that meat from a downed cow would be part of the food chain and 2) how many processing facilities one cow carcass goes through.

I'm glad I don't eat meat. Of course, I do eat dairy and eggs, so you can't totally escape animal-bourne diseases that way. But one reason I don't eat meat is because of what we do in so-called 'modern' farming where we push growth hormones, pack animals into factory farms, etc. Give me the old-fashioned farm where animals range and you get together with your neighbours and slaughter once a year. There's a fine balance between using healthy methods to improve livestock health and doing weird science.

No comments: