Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I went to sleep around 7:30

and now I'm up and contemplating my new medicine.
  • Antibiotic--I just took that. It's twice a day for 10 days. In retrospect, I had a different antibiotic this afternoon in injection form, so maybe I should have started this tomorrow, but what's done is done.
  • Antihistamine/Decongestant--Again, took this, as it'll help clear up the sinuses, where I'm getting the choking drainage from.
  • Prednisone--I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning for that; it's a once-daily, and I had a substantial steroid shot this afternoon. Since prednisone and related drugs can really mess up blood sugar, I don't want to overdo it. I also need to make sure I take my nightly Lantus and I'll check my blood sugar tomorrow morning as usual.
  • No nebuliser medicine, unfortunately. I think that really would have helped. I'll take it with me tomorrow; maybe I can get it filled by the afternoon, anyway, and take a treatment then, and another at bedtime. I'm supposed to do it up to three times a day, but definitely before bed. In the meantime, I'm going to use the inhaled version of the same medicine (albuterol), part of my 'rescue' inhaler, to see if it will help, before I go to bed. I figure you use it prophylactically before exercise, so in this case it could help open the passages before sleep.
  • I unfortunately couldn't get the expectorant or daytime cough suppressant. They're over the counter and aren't payable with my flexible spending card (thank you, IRS--that used to be allowed), and I don't get paid until Thursday. So Thursday morning we know what I'll be getting.
  • That brings me to the nighttime cough suppressant. I haven't had codeine in years. And I have to figure out how much 5 ml is. Is that a teaspoon, for instance? I'll look it up. The plan is to drink my water (everything seems to go better if I get plenty of that, then take the syrup, take my Lantus, and head back to bed. I have to put my regular pills together in my weekly reminder box for tomorrow, but I'm going to try to do that in the morning. Must remember to leave out my allergy medicine while I'm on this other antihistamine.
Gee, being sick can be complicated. And this is for a respiratory infection. Think of the cocktails people with HIV have to do or those with cancer. Throw diabetes in the mix, with steroids, and it might make for an interesting few days. Sorry to take up so much of this on being sick, but it is a little foremost in my mind at the moment. I am breathing easier, at least; the cough is becoming worse than the shortness of breath, a tradeoff that, while it's very easy to get tired of coughing, and it hurts, is better than the feeling of an elephant on your chest. The plan tomorrow is getting up early, getting my meds together and the usual morning preparations, continue taking the various medicines, and trying to get as much work done as possible. I did manage to get an awful lot done today, despite being there only part of the day. I'd thought I'd be back (I didn't expect it to take that long for a chest x-ray--the hospital's computers were down and so they were 45 minutes in just the wait for intake, and about 1 hour 15 minutes for the whole wait just for that. The doctor was also an hour and 15 minutes. By the time I got out of both, it was after 4, and I had to get the nebuliser and medicine before they closed at five and six, respectively. (At the time I didn't know the nebulising medicine wasn't included at the pharmacy, and even if I'd gone back to work, I'd have worked for a half hour. I actually had a different appointment at 5:30 this evening, but had to cancel it at the last minute--well, reschedule it, anyway, to go geth the nebuliser in time. Fortunately if you explain you're having breathing issues, they're likely to be nice about it.

Okay, time to do a quick Google search on dosage and then take the syrup, take the Lantus, and go to sleep (hopefully). Good night!

PS 5 ml is, indeed, a teaspoon, but you should use a measuring spoon rather than a household teaspoon, as the latter differ in actual size. Since I'm dealing with a fairly powerful syrup, I'll stick with that recommendation.

No comments: