Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 15, 2008

Must remember to blog and not just tweet

(Sometimes when I get home I'm so tired the little micro-blogging of Twitter is appealing. The updates show up on the left panel of this blog, too, if you're interested.)

Anyway, here's what's going on in my life:

1) Tuesday I had a seminar on searching EBSCOHost's CINAHL with Full Text. I must admit, I was somewhat bored, but aspects of it were interesting. And they had ice cream. :) I went over to a friend's and read, did some stuff, then came home by bus and crashed.

2) Wednesday...wait, what did I do Wednesday? Oh, yeah. I went in a little early to work to stop by Walgreens for a Luna bar only to find they were out of Lemon Zest. I walked 20 minutes to work (I'm REALLY out of shape--it's like two or three blocks) only to open up my desk and find...a couple of Luna bars. Sigh. I was surprised by how grown up the little creek I used to walk by had become; a small catalpa tree has soared, intertwining with wild rose. I couldn't see any fish at all, it was so shady. I returned a phone call from a genealogist working on my family tree (no relation; he's doing it for his nephew, who's my distant cousin) and I cheerfully anwered all sorts of questions/volunteered quite a bit even though I don't know this guy from Adam. That's me, alright. Maybe I warmed up to him so quickly because he's gay. I also let slip that a now-deceased great-uncle was actually adopted by the grandparents when one of their daughters had the boy out of wedlock. In the report the guy sent me, it listed me as the source of that one. Hopefully I won't piss off anyone in the family. Then I worked, went home and napped, then went to job #2 till 10 pm. One of our employees has given in her two weeks' notice. :( I got my schedule for the week. Then I came home and crashed.

3) Today I woke up early (although not quite as early as I intended), walked to bank, went through drive-through, withdrew money (couldn't get a money order via drive-through but the lobby wasn't open yet), walked to the gas station, got a money order for my rent, and then my boss drove me back over to my rental office to drop it off since she was doing a gas survey and then took me on to work. :) I worked at the hospital. I moved my PT appointment to tomorrow, since there was no way to bus out there and back in time for job #2. I talked to the mechanic whose name I was given. He's thinking from what I told him it may be in the $350 range, but of course he hasn't seen it yet. I came home and talked to my mom and grandmother on the phone. My mom is trying to quit smoking, yay! Her asthma's been really bad. My grandmother is having cataract surgery next month. Then I took a brief nap. I walked to work for truck night. I talked to one of the truck drivers who is also a mechanic. He suggested I get the 'with-everything' estimate and then I plan to get the 'what-will-be-the-least-I-can-spend-to-make-it-safe' estimate, too. I'll have about $500 to spend on brakes at the end of the month. The garage guy said that if I didn't have enough for what needs to be done they could store it for a couple of weeks so I can get the money together.

One good thing about the car being out of commission is I'm getting more rest. I'm hoping to get my house a little better together; my landlady mentioned that it needed some work. I am such a slob, and yet I hate living in a messy house.

Well, that's it for now. The plan is to get up by 6 am (I was in bed from 10 pm-midnight, but got up since I was hungry) and get some work/laundry done. I found some useful things for the game that I'd like to give the other players. We're nearly at the climax of the Antarctic adventure. The other day at the seminar, one of the librarians mentioned she was going on an Antarctic cruise around Christmas (high summer for there) and someone asked how cold it would be and I piped up and told them, given my now reasonably decent knowledge of Antarctic summer conditions. One thing I will say about this module; they did their homework in terms of research. Now if they'd just laid the thing out better!

No comments: