Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 28, 2008

I guess that makes me certifiable :)

Several weeks ago I applied for state certification as a librarian. I do not need certification for my current job in a medical library, but it is a requirement for public libraries, and just to apply at Lexington Public Library requires the certificate. Since I periodically attempt to get a full-time job at the public library, it seemed a good move, especially as it is only $5 and for anyone with an MLS that's pretty much all you need to prove to get the initial certificate. As for renewal, that requires continuing education, and mine isn't public library focussed, of course, but rather tends to be medical library specific, so I don't know how best to proceed on that one for now. But the initial certificate is good for five years, so I have some time to find out if I need public library continuing education credits, etc. I got the certificate today from the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, duly signed by the head of the Board (my former teacher, Dennis Carrigan, the one who blew up on the phone when he got my answering machine with 'Happy Happy, Joy Joy' on it but then we hit it off quite well once we met in person) and the Secretary of State. Only problem? The spelling of my name is wrong. Sometimes it's difficult to have a relatively common name with a not-so-common spelling. Mine's Elisabeth, not Elizabeth (Eilir is my middle name). This despite the fact I threw in my name change paperwork when I applied since my degree was granted under my former name (even though my name had been changed with the university before I graduated). Oh, well, I'm rather used to the mistake. As long as no one calls me Liz....

I do finally have a decent portfolio to seek accreditation with the Medical Library Association's Academy of Health Information Professionals, having authored a book chapter and article, done selections for Doody's, and acquired a lot of continuing education credits, but it also requires $175, so I can't do it just yet. I wish they took into consideration income on that like they do on dues. I'd like to have 'MSLS, AHIP' after my name on my business cards, and most MLA members seek Academy status as they get further into their careers, to the point where it's almost expected. I put it off for awhile, unsure of how long I wanted to pursue medical librarianship, but I figure I've been one for over eleven years now, so I might as well get on the bandwagon. Besides, I've done the work needed to attain it, I might as well go ahead with my application. You watch, about the time I am granted AHIP membership, I'll change jobs out of the medical field.

No comments: