Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm apparently earthquake deaf

Because I've been through about five or six relatively strong quakes in California and here in Kentucky, and probably a dozen small ones, and I've never once felt the earth shake. Of course, don't get me wrong, I don't want such a big one that the damage is staggering. But it would be nice to at least feel a bit of a shake.

This morning I slept as a 5.2 magnitude quake hit Illinois and was felt throughout the area. We're not far from the New Madrid (that's pronounced Ma'-drid, not Ma-drid') fault, which was responsible in the 19th century for a quake so big the Mississipi River ran backwards. That one was felt as far away as Boston. This one was felt as far as Florida by one account I read.

5.2 earthquake rattles skyscrapers, nerves across Midwest

No comments: