Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 06, 2007

Thought I fell off the face of the earth, didn't you?

No, it's just been that painting was followed by book unpacking and then my doom kicked in; I'm basically an indentured servant for a specified time to be doled out in increments according to the needs of the other person. (Long story. Suffice to say that I have learnt 1) not to say stupid things whose consequences will be far-reaching and cataclysmic to my life and 2) not to bargain my way out of said consequences. Anyway, the first project was to unpack the remaining boxes left over from a move two years ago. The books were still being unpacked at 3 pm yesterday, the doom fell at 6:23 pm (on Independence Day, of all the ironies), and the project went from then until 11 am this morning. Suffice to say I came home and crashed (I was off today, making this possible), getting up briefly around 2:30 to go to sleep doctor appointment (another irony, and I nearly slept through the appointment, awaking to my cell phone halfway into a pulled out drawer that I'd tried to shush it with) and taking care of my rent. Then it was back to sleep and I woke up at midnight to take a friend home, and now I'm up and getting something to eat and contemplating going back to bed again. Tomorrow I'm off from the hospital, so I can sleep in, although I do have to work the truck night at the gas station.

Independence Day was a kind of a dud for me. I normally go down the the fesitval downtown, but slept late (remember, I'd been getting about 5 hours a night for a couple of weeks) instead. Then I was going to go to the fireworks, and it thunderstormed. Granted, we need the rain desperately, but I wish is had held out for a few more hours. So 4th of July sort of fizzled. Hopefully they'll have the fireworks at a later date (one year it was Labour Day).

I did haul away a good little bit during the Great Purge for my efforts, including a what I think is a 21" monitor (it may be 24") and keyboard. I haven't installed them yet (I was doing well to get the monitor inside so my friend would have a place to sit). That's something for tomorrow. But it's got a really big screen (granted, it's the old clunky type, but it works well and it's a better screen than mine).

Okay, I think I'll play a game, eat a little ice cream, and go back to bed. Have a good night--and I hope the rest of you in America had a good Fourth.

No comments: