Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Rest

I was tentatively scheduled from 3-9 today at the station, but that changed when the guy we thought had quit (he called in sick and then didn't return calls; turned out he was out of minutes on his phone) came back and is working tonight, so I was moved to 6-9 instead (my normal Thursday schedule, to put away things from the truck). How did I spend my windfall? Exactly like my boss' suggestion--I slept for 2 1/2 hours. I'm a little groggy, and I'm trying to eat something when I have to be at work in 20 minutes (fortunately it's 2 blocks away), but I'm glad I got some rest. Plus my schedule changed so I'm still working 10 hours on Saturday, but not as late, and if a new person who's starting tomorrow does okay, I might actually get some time off soon. I'm also working Tuesday and Wednesday 3-9, but again, if we get another new person who's in the pipe, then I might be off instead. Which suits me fine. I like the paycheques I've been getting but I signed on for 15-20 hours a week, not 24-27. Even though I'm a part-timer, my boss recognises I have another job, other responsibilities, and some health problems to contend with, so she's trying to make sure I don't get overly worked, even when we're down to 4 people and she's pushing herself to make 70-90 hours a week. Personally I'd rather work than see her burn out--she's only 25 or 26 and under far more stress than I've ever been at a job, and it's not good for her health at all, either.

Well, I got a couple of tortillas and cheese in me; time to get dressed and get ready for the truck. I'll try to write some more tonight.

No comments: