Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 02, 2007

Some random musings

I didn't write before, but I was very sad to hear of Barbaro's death. As a horsey-girly girl, I love the animals in any form, but a true champion like Barbaro showed such spirit both in his races and in his fight for life afterwards. I can't see why anyone would not be moved by his passing, at least if they had half a heart. Some good may come from his death; people are pouring money into a memorial fund to help equine medicine. That may help other horses like Barbaro. And they're really looking at much needed safety measures to make the business safer. There comes a time when you have to question whether the money made has overshadowed the safety to the animals, or if the breeding has made it more likely that they'll break down, because it's been happening a lot of late. I'm not saying we need to do away with horse racing, but we should make it as humane as possible. And that's happening. Even our own Keenland, chosen to stand in for the track in Seabiscuit because it's still so traditional, has gone to an artificial track medium that is designed for greater safety.

What else to write about before I start getting ready for work? We didin't get the first wave of snow, but we did get about an inch in the second. It's lightly snowing now, but I don't expect it to be bad for now. Now, in the next couple of days it's supposed to get very frigid, in the single digits, and then, if there's still snow, we may have ice to content with. But certainly we're in no 'winter storm' category, just gentle snow.

Cerys is here by my side. She's feeling better these days. The other day she got up on the sofa herself, and she rolled on the floor. For a few days in mid-January she'd hobbled around with one foot in the air. I think she sprained her foot coming down from the bed in an uncontrolled splat. I gave her an NSAID (non-steroid anti-imflammatory drug) for dogs called Rimadyl and it resolved before I had to take her to the vet. I would like to get her there, though. She needs her shots and her nails trimmed. She's having trouble on slick surfaces because of the nails. I went to give her a bite of peanut butter sandwich the other day and all four legs went out from under her at once. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can take her, though.

I did get paid enough that I can pay my rent and the traffic ticket of doom, so that's good, as the court date is Monday. I still can't believe that I, the obsessive one, didn't have my headlights on. Grr. But I do have proof of insurance now so they'll toss that out, at least.

No news yet form JCPL. I'm going to e-mail them today.

Well, I'd better sign off here and take a shower, since I will have to unsnow the car. At least the maintenance men have already been by with snowshovels and salt. Take care, and have a great day.

No comments: