Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

An unintentional break

The last weekend was very, very, very busy. Actually, the whole week was, or maybe the last two for that matter. We had someone (my favourite co-worker) quit abruptly at the gas station and so all worked extra hours whilst a new person was being trained. On top of that, I had several early morning and afternoon errands to run, meaning I wasn't getting much sleep.

So last night, I crashed. Utterly. I slept from 3:30-8, got up and got my medicine from the pharmacy (including the Provigil, which helps keep me awake during the day, and metformin, which will help my blood sugar so I don't bottom out in the afternoon), then went back to sleep around 10 and stayed there for the most part until 9 this morning. Monday I'd been kind of out of it because of it. I'm hoping today will be better, especially since I'm working 12 hours.

I've barely kept up with the news this week. The most disturbing, I think, is the couple of school invasions in which girls were targeted for sexual assault, injury, terrorising, and in some cases, execution-like deaths. It's bad enough that gunmen are waltzing into schools with virtual armouries prepared to kill children. It's another that they are targeting young girls. The last case, in an Amish community, seems to have been the result of the gunman's obsession with something that happened twenty years ago. He apparently panicked when police showed up and starting firing. Five girls are dead, several others are wounded, and he turned the gun on himself, so we may never truly understand why it happened. Over the years I've read a bit on criminal psychology, particularly on serial killers. But I have to admit, I don't understand this kind of killer and what goes on in their heads. Maybe that's a good thing.

Well, I'll sign off for now. I hope to be blogging more regularly this week. Hope yours is going well, and stay safe (or as safe as any of us can be).

No comments: