Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Checking in (again)

Listening to Ella Fitzgerald, 'This Love of Mine'

I didn't post yesterday because I worked a 13-hour shift between the two jobs and just didn't feel like getting on the computer after I got home. I'd been up since 7 am and didn't get to bed until 1 am. So I thought I'd update now.

Putting Darius was hard, but good for him and for me. At the time I could just cry and think of how empty things would be. But I have to admit, as reality has dawned, I had a sense of relief. We'd both been pretty miserable. The vet office was very good; I'll definitely take Cerys there when I can affort to. Unlike my previous vet (the one who held the remains of my cat Spock hostage until I paid the bill), they were very attentive to my needs and went above and beyond the call of duty, since Darius totally lost control of his bowels (what control he normally had) in the carrier, and they had to hose it down to weigh it and clean him off. They definitely agreed that it was time. They also offered to have the city take him and cremate him at no cost, which lightened a burden on me, since I live in an apartment and it would have been difficult to bury him. Dr Sears never offered that...it was cremation without remains for $60, with remains for $80, or I had to bury it.

A friend went with me, and he was a great comfort. He took me out to eat afterwards, and we spent a quiet evening after that. Coming into the apartment was difficult that night, without any cats. Darius was the last of my kitty babies. I've lost one a year in the last three years. No cats for Lisa any time soon.

That night I'd found a note on my door indicating that the apartment people were doing their annual walk-through either Wednesday or Thursday, and so I got up early Wednesday morning and threw away the cat boxes and scrubbed the bathroom down really well where he'd been staying. The whole house smells like Citrasolv now (which is a pleasant orange oil cleaner). I did keep two cat toys, a crinkly ladybug and a small ball. Maybe someday I'll be ready for another cat. In the meantime I have a little memento.

Yesterday was my first day working in the motion lab, taking foot pressures. It went pretty well, although there were some glitches in the computer. There's apparently either a rush of them or down time, so I got some library work in as well, trying to come up with updates for the family resource centre. Then it was off to the gas station for the evening. I came home and did my normal sit in a recliner with a massage cushion going. Darius used to sit on me everytime I did that, so it some ways I missed him even more last night.

Well, that's all for now, I suppose. I've got a busy few days ahead of me, but I'll try to blog. Just in case I don't get to, though, have a happy Friday the 13th tomorrow. Be sure to keep away from guys in hockey masques!

No comments: