Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 30, 2005

'One more day, one day more'

until October and all that entails, for good or bad. (Excuse the Les Mis moment, I know it's early).

I had insomnia last night, probably from a combination of sleeping on the first cold autumn night of the season with the window open, and Cerys waking me up at three in the morning to go out, which isn't usual for her (although, bless her heart, she's fourteen, so she can be forgiven for a weak bladder, and at least she did wake me up). Anyway, I kept having trouble going back to sleep, so after lying in bed at midnight, 3 am, 5am, and 7am, I finally just gave up, got up, did yoga (I've been doing it regularly this month), took my medicine, had a cereal bar, and took a nice long bath, then came into work an hour and a half early (not on the clock, though) and returned the borrowed scrub pants, had some eggs, potatoes, and milk, and well, now I'm just waiting to clock in around 10. Oh, and I sent a thank you card to the people who interviewed me at the historical society. I found an elegant card with a black bow, an engraved magnolia that was taken from a library in Virginia, with velvet flocking. A little dark, yes, but it simply said thank you and seemed good to send to a pair of archivists. Normally I would have just written a note but that seemed better somehow. (And yes, I want the job!)

Let's see, this is rambling, I know, but I haven't had time to really write much lately. What else? I started the ADDerall today. So far it's not making me jittery or anything; actually I'm a little dopey, like everything's slowed down a bit. That may just be my expectation, but it is supposed to make me focus, although it's such a low dose at this point it may not have an immediate effect. I can't blame the insomnia on it, either, since I didn't take it until after I got up this morning. I don't really feel sleepy...just...well, calm. My thoughts aren't racing like they often do in the morning. That may be a combination of factors. I also take BuSpar in the morning, and that's a sedative. So who knows what they'll do together. I know it may seem like I'm jumping around in this post but it's more like thoughts are coming, I'm writing, and then new ones come, rather than going back and forth, if that makes any sense.

One thing I neglected to mention about the trip to Frankfort the other day were the butterflies. Every few feet there would be one flying across the road, usually avoiding traffic. That, along with the goldenrod (our state flower and allergen) and ironweed along the road, made for a very pleasant drive. I really prefer the smaller roads like Leestown to the Interstate, for the most part, although I got stuck behind a couple of slow vehicles along the way, but it was never for long. Versailles Road is probably the nicest way to get to Frankfort, because of all the horse farms...but I'd have to go around town to get to it, whereas I was already on Main Street (Leestown-Richmond roads--Lexington roads change name with every major intersection for the most part, so Leestown, Richmond, and Main are all the same), so that's why I went that way. Plus, you always know when you're halfway there because of the town of Midway, named for that very reason.

Because I got paid yesterday, I have a full tank of gas ($36 worth!), medicine for the month, groceries in the house, a big bag of dog AND cat food, fish food, minutes on my phone, etc. I did forget cat litter so I'll have to go back for that. I get paid today at my other job, too. That leaves me with enough for a couple of bills and money towards my rent. I'm going to try to make sure I'm not left without anything at the middle of the month. Now that I'm working a second job again, that'll help keep me from total destitution. I don't have any left for much in the way of luxuries, although I may see about going to see a discount movie this weekend. I'm thinking of seeing Skeleton Key, which like most horror/thrillers seems to have gotten bad reviews, but I know the shop where they got a lot of their props, and apparently they tried to be very authentic about Hoodoo, something I know a little about but would like to learn more.

Well, it's almost time for me to clock in, so I'll sign off for now. Take care.

No comments: