Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Well...

word from the vet is that the fluid from Spock's chest showed signs of cardiomyopathy (heart disease). There was no sign of cancer. In other words, his heart gave out, finally. But I'm glad he wasn't slowed down by it and showing acute symptoms until just a few days ago. Dr Sears says he probably compensated for a chronic condition for awhile, which is why he had no pronounced symptoms, just a little weight loss and a certain rangy look that most cats have as they get older.

I've been through through most of the stages of grief already, and I suppose I'm heading towards acceptance, but it's still hard to come home and not find him there. At least I have Cerys and Darius, so the house is not empty. Both of them have been a little more clingy, and I think Darius was alarmed when I let Cerys sleep over with the pack (you took one animal away, now another, am I next?) and he stayed right on my pillow the whole night.

No comments: