Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Ah, finally

Let's see if I can get this to post. I went from a quick edit of another post to 'create', and that seems to work okay.

So, it's Saturday. I have: eaten breakfast, baked English Toffee Fudge brownies for D's baby shower, watched a couple of things on TV, returned some items to the library. On the agenda: Visit with friends, go to said shower, and then Scrabble Club tonight.

I still have electricity, but the doom is upon me, so to speak. I couldn't pay by Thursday or get another extension. What would be really great is if it holds out till Tuesday, when I should be getting my Flexben (medical spending account reimbursement) cheque, which will cover it and give me about $10 for gas.

Gas is ridiculous at the moment ($2.19 here in Lexington--I'm sure its worse lots of other places), but I can't really complain, as I've always said we were a gas guzzling nation who needed to get over our love affair with cheap gas and get more fuel-efficient. Have I mentioned I hate SUVs? If I had the money, which I don't, I'd get a Toyota Prius or other hybrid. It sucks being poor sometimes when you are environmentally conscious. My car does alright for something with 217,000 miles on it, but with every penny counting $5 of gas every couple of days is the best I've been able to do. I've got a quarter of a tank right now; I hope it lasts until I get that cheque, because I have about 29 cents in my pocket, a few pennies in a bank at home, and that's it until then. Sigh.

I had an interview the other day for a part-time job with a mailing company working with high-speed printers doing layout, database work, and file conversion. It went pretty well. I was the first interviewee, so I don't know when they'll get back to me, but it's a night job and it sounded like my schedule would work well. I might even still be able to take a couple of classes with it, depending, because I could work as late as midnight. That would be job number three in my quest to stay solvent but it would put my total hours within the full-time range again. Yay. So, wish me luck on that and my other potential jobs.

Okay, now to see if this posts. I hope so. Have a great weekend. We're finally getting weather in the 60-degree range, and I'm so ready for spring, especially as it looks like I'll have a place to garden to my soul's delight. Yay. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the sheer amount of birdsong that's been coming from behind my apartment as the cardinals mate, the woodpeckers peck, and the migrating birds make their rounds. :)

No comments: