Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

One last post for the night

I had to laugh at this post from Anne. Yes, it's how any self-respecting woman should feel about Colin Farrell, and most of us would still wind up in bed with him. It's certainly about how I feel about him. You want to hate him, but...

I saw Saturday Night Live (a repeat, but I'd missed it the first time) with him hosting, and I have never laughed so hard for 90 minutes as that night. Whether it was his sex tips, his rendition of Bono (yes, thank you writers of SNL, for pointing out the unos, dos, tres, catorce issue with 'Vertigo') was just dead on. His stint of commentary opposite Tina Fey explaining Alexander's bisexuality was a priceless bit of double entrendres. Sure, I know the material was the writers', but he delivered it so well, and he utterly sent up the bad-boy, sex-starved image. I loved him as the husband who didn't want to go through with the orgy at the key party. I hope Anne got to see it.

The thing about Colin Farrell is that no matter what else you may think, the dude can act, and he'll charm your pants off with Irish wit no matter how much you want to despise him. I still haven't decided how much of it's all an act and how much is true, although I lean towards the former, to be honest. Not the natural charm, that is, but the bad boy.

I must add that although I enjoy Scissor Sisters and I had actually caught that 'Take Your Mama' was about coming out to mom, I'd never quite seen them in public or realised how terrifically gay they are (well, actually, the drummer is straight)...but does very well with his ruffles, thank you. (Yeah, I know, I'm not up on my lesbian slang. What can I say, I'm a bisexual who's sung in a not-quite lesbian chorus but otherwise have mostly been around gay men whole life.) I took one look, though, and gaydar a buzzing, I felt like I was watching The Village People, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and a host of others rolled into a rather unique package. Apparently two of the members met whilst visiting a mutual friend here in Kentucky. I'm not surprised...gee there are times I think we're the centre of the gay universe, before people go off to the coasts. Is there something in the water, I mean that makes horses strong and people hankering for their own kind? Or maybe it's just that whole Louisville, Lexington, Cinci triangle. My grandparents used to own a boat dock inside that triangle and they had many couples come up even in the 50s. I'd really like to see a gay history of the area.

No comments: