Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

In the last week or so I have:

  • filed my taxes (I have to pay both, bummer).
  • requested that my school application be moved to the summer, since that's the first time there are classes for me to take in my field.
  • applied for 2004-2005 financial aid for the summer sessions.
  • applied for 2005-2006 financial aid for fall.
  • checked out the various possibilities of testing out of several classes.
  • totally rearranged my office at work in anticipation for some furniture from another office.
  • traded a table for a bookshelf at work. :)
  • picked up a filter through Freecycle so I now have a working aquarium again. Now for fish and a light...but for now I'm happy with the gentle waterfall sound in my home once more.
  • continued to work on the house. Got it nice and neat only to bring out the final push of books to sort and put up on shelves. Hope to finish tonight.
  • went to the gym on Saturday and am going to tonight, too.
  • along with laundry, that is.


That's a lot of positives on top of the normal stuff, so it sort of trumps being broke and going psycho for about 30 minutes ('I got better' follows in my best Python voice).

KET's going to be slow this week...my boss is out of town and there really isn't much left to do...I was too speedy, I guess. But I really like the feedback she gave me on the lesson I wrote the other day. It amazes me how much people like my writing. I mean, I don't see it as that special, but even a therapist once acted like she'd been blown away by my prose when I wrote one of those, 'I'm tired of repeating so here's the story of my life.' Pity that's in my medical record...I should have kept a copy and posted it here. Still, it makes me think that if I could ever get to a point where I could rub two thoughts together for any length of time I might have a shot at writing after all. And certainly this blog is good practice.

Well, I guess that's all for now. I have a book I'd ordered at the library come in. It's Walter Tevis' Mockingbird. Tevis was a Kentucky author best known for The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Colour of Money. My writing teacher, Gurney Norman, knew him and used him as an example to take my love of science fiction and my knowledge of the South and Kentucky and blend them together. I don't know if you've ever read the book for The Man Who Fell to Earth--the movie had David Bowie--but it was originally set in this part of the country. Anyway, Mockingbird is also science fiction, set in a dystopic world where robots abound and humans are pampered, bored, and dying rather than continue in drugged bliss. Some begin to find meaning in their lives through the very near defunct act of reading. Some have described it as a sort of sequel to Fahrenheit 451. Definitely it should be on any librarian's list, so I'm going to read it and I'll review it here.

Well, that's enough for now. Take care, and good night. Oh, and happy Imbolc. Ah, to have flaming cheese!

No comments: