Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 17, 2003

It's one of those the-universe-does-not-realise-that-it-is-not-Monday Thursdays



Well, the new copier is down for the second day in a row with the same code that was supposedly fixed yesterday. I'm hoping copiers are like cars and need some attention at about 25,000 copies and then they settle in fine. I have a set of sticky notes for just such an occasion:

Things I need to do today:
1. Breathe in.
2. Breathe out.

The other day I took the test that keeps appearing in the ad on this page to see if as a librarian I qualify to move to Australia. The librarian part is fine but the only way I could get enough points would be to have a shitload of money to deposit in an Australian bank. How many librarians do you know who have that? Oh, well. I'm assuming librarians are given extra points because the profession is greying. Our average age is in the 50s now I think and a big percentage will be retiring in the next few years. So hopefully they'll be more jobs out there here, too.

On a brighter note, I finished Laurell K. Hamilton's new Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novel, Cerulean Sins. It was a birthday present that came in a little late so I didn't get it until Tuesday night, then finished by yesterday afternoon. Yea! I enjoyed it immensely. I pretty much devoured it in about three bites, reading at breaks, etc. The Anita we know and love is back and is both more accepting that she's not quite human and regaining her humanity at the same time. Laurell Hamilton was positively restrained--no sex or drawing a gun for at least 12 or 13 chapters (but what sex and violence there is is well done). I think she realised that Narcissus in Chains was a little over the top for even die-hard fans. And while they don't explain it, I think I finally understand how Gregory and Stephen, twins, wound up as shapeshifters--the first a wereleopard, the second a werewolf. But if I'm right, it's sick. What's new? The thing I love about this book is that there is no gratuitous anything--it's a very neat, compact story where every detail fits into the puzzle correctly, no loose ends, no plot errors, etc. It's a little more focused on Anita's personal life than preternatural crime, but really Anita's personal life has gotten so complex that it's got more plot possibilities.

No comments: