Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, April 06, 2003

Ah, weekends...



It's been a busy but very nice weekend. Friday was laundry night over at Zabet's, but it started earlier than normal because I got off work early and she and Patrick had to go up to Louisville that night. I wound up going to sleep by 9:30 pm (I was very sleepy) and then went home to Danville to visit with my family. We had a good visit, and my grandmother's dog just stole the show. Today we didn't have our game because one of the other players is costuming A Streetcar Named Desire for Actor's Guild, so I got to have a relaxing Sunday. I just got in and watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Several people had told me it wasn't very good. While I'm not sure it's quite up to the movie, I enjoyed it. So now I'm online catching up on the news. I had heard that the main correspondent I've been watching (I don't have cable, and NBC the clearest station I get) for the news in Iraq died--David Bloom. Despite the fact that he was in a war zone that shocked me, somehow. I checked and he wasn't killed by gunfire or anything like that--but by a pulmonary embolism. Maybe the stress of riding in a tank all those long hours, etc. contributed--no one's sure. But he died doing something he apparently loved, and he saw the gates of Baghdad first. I guess that counts for something.

The last few days have seen rain and cooler temperature but it's really bringing out spring beauty (and allergies). This morning I was walking down a street and these little dust devils of pear petals played along the sidewalk. The grass is so green--only a couple of weeks ago everything was still brown and looking demolished from the ice storm in February. There's still plenty of damage but the trees are flowering and budding out. I did get some dirt the other day and created a raised bed near my patio. I moved my roses, irises, yarrow, and hostas and added a peony and clematis. Hope they do well. Everything's been hanging on in pretty compacted clay; I don't know how it'll do with rich soil. :) I also planted (inside) a gift from Zabet and Patrick. It's an egg-shaped terrarium with an expanding peat pot and an eggplant that produces white veggies that then turn yellow as they ripen. It's supposed to get three feet tall. Neato.

Well, I think I may take a little nap and then start reading another gift I received for my birthday--the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Liriel, and Abhorsen). Another book, Cerulean Sins by Laurell K. Hamilton, is still on its way. She's signing books tomorrow night at Joseph-Beth and I'm tempted to go, even though there's no sense in me buying one of the books to get them signed since I know I'm getting one soon. I just want to tell her to re-order one of her plots so a car doesn't get wrecked, driven, and then is unusable. I love her books but she needs a better editor/editrix. :)

Well, enough for now.

No comments: