Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 21, 2003

Despite war, it's still Friday



1. If you had the chance to meet someone you've never met, from the past or present, who would it be?
Socrates. I want to know how much of what Plato wrote was his, and how much of it was Plato's spin on things. We have some writings with which to compare it, but still....

2. If you had to live in a different century, past or future, which would it be?
As a woman or as a man? Most past centuries pretty much suck if you're female. There are some exceptions--Roman women could own property, divorce, etc., but you had to be pretty wealthy and educated to really do it right. I'm fascinated by the Victorian era, with its blend of gentility and teeming underworld, but it really was a man's world, with a few shining exceptions. While I like the Middle Ages in theory, it pretty much sucks regardless of your gender--you either get to have babies and die or fight wars and die or work until you fall over and die. Not to mention plague rats, etc. If I'd lived in the Middle Ages I think I'd have wound up in a convent. I can't really comment on the future, but it would be interesting to go a century or two ahead and see where we'll be.

3. If you had to move anywhere else on Earth, where would it be?
Britain. Although New Zealand is looking pretty cool right now (because I've been looking at Zabet and her Hubby's plans, not to mention all those Lord of the Rings vistas). I've thought about moving to Canada, especially Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure I'd do well with winters. Perhaps if Canada had a tropical island somewhere?

4. If you had to be a fictional character, who would it be?
Amelia Peabody, without question. Every year a dead body, and digging in Aegypt! Intelligent, forthright, bossy, rich enough to pursue her interests, able to survive two of the most precocious, strong-willed children ever to be born, to patch up another shirt ruined, to doctor the ills of the populace, to inspire the love of two rascally brothers, and to wield a parasol with great skill (or at least gusto). Oh, Amelia, definitely.

5. If you had to live with having someone else's face as your own for the rest of your life, whose would it be?
I always wanted to have red hair and green eyes. The closest person I can think that matches that would be Tori Amos. But that would be a little freaky, if you didn't start out with it.

No comments: