Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 11, 2002

A line from the Kaddish



Y'hei shlamah rabbah meen sh'mahyah,v'chahyeem
May there be abundant peace from Heaven, and life

I am not Jewish, but I have friends who are, and I have a minor in Judaic studies. As a Pagan learning Hebrew, I would never say the name of G-d as Adonai, but rather Ha Shem, as the Orthodox do, since Adonai means 'my Lord'. But there were many people of many faiths who died in these attacks. Some were Jewish, and it is traditional to recite Kaddish for the dead. I especially remember one man, an Orthodox Jew, who refused to leave is wheelchair-bound friend. He could have gotten out, but he stayed. So today, I recited Kaddish for him and the other Jews who died that day. My Hebrew's a little rusty, so I found a site (above) that provided the transliteration. This line from the prayer especially resonated with me.

I hope He isn't offended--it's meant in respect, even from a Pagan Goy like me. :)

No comments: