Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, September 22, 2002

Agghhh!!!



I decided to catch up with some of my blog reading and went over to Dreaded Purple Master's site. His was the first Blog of Note I ever read. Turns out that while the rest of us have been having fun this summer, he's been dealing with a heart attack and then a couple of strokes! Be sure to check out his site and send healthy thoughts his way.

It's funny how we have this community of strangers who wouldn't know each other on the street but care whether we live or die. It's sort of hopeful, really. I mean, it's harder to want to wipe each other out of existence when you know that someone who seems to be very different from you has the same hopes and dreams as you do. Maybe the Israelis and Palestinians/Americans and Iraqis, etc., etc. should blog at one another rather than shooting at each other. Maybe we'd have a better place, do you think? Or am I just being bleeding-heart-liberal-why-can't-we-all-get-along? I never can decide if I'm a pessimist, an optimist, a realist, or just living in another dimension. :) I usually come out as a pessimist, but I think my 60s/70s upbringing just made me madly hopeful for world peace.

Oh, and...



I have an idea for a memorial to the victims of the 9/11 attacks, but I don't have the land resources to do it. Feel free to steal it if you'd like. There is a type of crocus that blooms in autumn (it's what we get saffron from). I'd like to see someone naturalise 3,000 along a garden path. They'd bloom around the anniversary, represent the beauty of the lives lost, the hope for a brighter future--but illustrate the enormity of the toll. What do you think?

No comments: